The Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society
The Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society (GLVOS) is an organization whose primary mission is to expand and share our knowledge, use and appreciation of the Art of Orchids. The GLVOS meets on the First Sunday of the Month See the Meetings and Speakers link for more information.
We will meet at the Meeting Room at the Rainbow Library, 3150 North Buffalo at the corner of Cheyenne the 2nd Sunday of the month starting at 1:00 pm.
Our Presidents Message
People are always surprised to learn we grow orchids in the desert, in Las Vegas, the entertainment capital of the world, but we do—big, gorgeous, blooming orchids!! In a challenging environment, we fool our orchids into thinking they are still in the rain forest with a combination of evaporative coolers, humidifiers, misters, patience, and love. In a city where every blade of grass is precious, lush orchids are a special gift.
Three feet tall, Epipactis gigantea grows in the shadowy seeps in the mountains west of town. Habenaria dilatata and Habenaria sparsiflora thrive at high elevations in Mt. Charleston. People think orchids are rare and exotic, but they are the largest family of flowering plants, forming 10 percent of the flowering plant species on earth. They are everywhere—even in Las Vegas!!
We invite you to join our warm and friendly group of orchid enthusiasts, one hundred plus strong, at our meetings the first Sunday of every month as we celebrate our 30th anniversary. You will be sure to learn a lot, have lots of fun, and make wonderful friends. We pride ourselves on our spectacular speaker program including many very important names in the orchid world. At every meeting, we have plant and supply raffles, orchid sales, show and tell, education, food, and fun. We have virtual greenhouse tours, shows, and demonstrations.
Share the fun. Share the addiction. Come join us!!
President, Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society
Meetings are held the 2nd Sunday of each month, unless specifcaly noted.
Meetings start at 1pm
- November 14, 2021 Peter Lin "Mini-Vandaceous Orchids"
- December 12, 2021 Carol Siegel "Sex Life of Orchids" Ron Kaufman
- January 9, 2022 Fred Clarke "The 80% Grower"
- February 13, 2022 Ron Parsons "Those Weird Bulbophyllum"
- March 13, 2022 David Attenborough film "Orchids"
- April 10, 2022
- May 8, 2022 Diana Smith
- June 12, 2022 Norman Fang "Phalaenopsis- Our Favorite Orchid“
- July 10, 2022 Carol Siegel "Orchids as National Flowers"
- August 14, 2022
- September 11, 2922 Cathy Loftfield "Dendrobiums"
- October 9, 2022 Mark Romansky
- November 13, 2022 Jackie Braverman "The Big Corsage Cattleyas"
- December 11, 2022 Holiday party