The Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society
The Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society (GLVOS) is an organization whose primary mission is to expand and share our knowledge, use and appreciation of the Art of Orchids. The GLVOS meets on the First Sunday of the Month See the Meetings and Speakers link for more information.
We will meet at the Meeting Room at the Rainbow Library, 3150 North Buffalo at the corner of Cheyenne the 2nd Sunday of the month starting at 1:00 pm.
Our Presidents Message
People are always surprised to learn we grow orchids in the desert, in Las Vegas, the entertainment capital of the world, but we do—big, gorgeous, blooming orchids!! In a challenging environment, we fool our orchids into thinking they are still in the rain forest with a combination of evaporative coolers, humidifiers, misters, patience, and love. In a city where every blade of grass is precious, lush orchids are a special gift.
Three feet tall, Epipactis gigantea grows in the shadowy seeps in the mountains west of town. Habenaria dilatata and Habenaria sparsiflora thrive at high elevations in Mt. Charleston. People think orchids are rare and exotic, but they are the largest family of flowering plants, forming 10 percent of the flowering plant species on earth. They are everywhere—even in Las Vegas!!
We invite you to join our warm and friendly group of orchid enthusiasts, one hundred plus strong, at our meetings the first Sunday of every month as we celebrate our 30th anniversary. You will be sure to learn a lot, have lots of fun, and make wonderful friends. We pride ourselves on our spectacular speaker program including many very important names in the orchid world. At every meeting, we have plant and supply raffles, orchid sales, show and tell, education, food, and fun. We have virtual greenhouse tours, shows, and demonstrations.
Share the fun. Share the addiction. Come join us!!
President, Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society
Meetings are held the 2nd Sunday of each month, unless specifcaly noted.
Meetings start at 1pm
- April 6, 2019 Orchid Show “A Passion for Orchids”W Charleston Library
- April 14, 2019 Ron Kaufman
- May 5, 2019 BBQ (trying to not have this on Mothers day like 2018 - FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH THIS MONTH)
- June 2, 2019 Norman Fang“Harlequin Orchids” (FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH THIS MONTH)
- July 14 2019 - Potting day with Cathy Loftfield
- August 11 2019 - Mark Romansky
- September 8, 2019 Ron Parsons
- October 13 2019 - Peter Lin
- November 10, 2019 - Alan Koch "Growing Orchids in the Home"
- December 8, 2019 - Holiday Party
- Jan 12, 2020 Carol Siegel, "How Orchids Got Their Names"
- February 9, 2020 Tom Mirenda TBD
- March 10, 2020 Diana Smith "The Fascination of Orchids"
- April 5, 2020 Jason Fischer "The 2020 World Orchid Conference in Taiwan" FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH THIS MONTH)
- May 3, 2020 GLVOS BBQ FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH THIS MONTH)
- June 7, 2020 Mark Romansky TBD (FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH THIS MONTH)
- July 12, 2020 Normal Fang TBD
- August 9, 2020 Fred Clarke "Modern Cattleyas and How to Grow Them"
- September 13, 2020 Mary Gerritsen TBD
- October 11, 2020 Speaker and topic TBD
- November 8, 2020 Cathy Loftfield "Dendrobiums"
- December 13, 2020 - Holiday Party