The Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society
The Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society (GLVOS) is an organization whose primary mission is to expand and share our knowledge, use and appreciation of the Art of Orchids. The GLVOS meets on the First Sunday of the Month See the Meetings and Speakers link for more information.
We will meet at the Meeting Room at the Rainbow Library, 3150 North Buffalo at the corner of Cheyenne the 2nd Sunday of the month starting at 1:00 pm.
Our Presidents Message
People are always surprised to learn the we grow orchids in the desert, in Las Vegas, entertainment capital of the world, but we do—big, gorgeous, blooming orchids!! In a challenging environment, we fool our orchids into thinking they are still in the rain forest with a combination of evaporative coolers, humidifiers, misters, patience and love. In a city where every blade of grass is precious, lush orchids are a special gift.
Three feet tall, Epipactis gigantea grows in the shadowy seeps in the mountains west of town. Habenaria dilatata and Habenaria sparsiflorathrive at high elevations in Mt. Charleston. People think orchids are rare and exotic, but they are the largest family of flowering plants, forming 10 per cent of the flowering plant species on earth. They are everywhere—even in Las Vegas!!
We invite you to join our warm and friendly group of orchid enthusiasts, one hundred plus strong, at our meetings the first Sunday of every month as we celebrate our 30th anniversary. You will be sure to learn a lot, have lots of fun, and make wonderful friends. We pride ourselves on our spectacular speaker program including many very important names in the orchid world. At every meeting, we have plant and supply raffles, orchid sales, show and tell, education, food and fun. We have virtual greenhouse tours, shows, and demonstrations.
Share the fun. Share the addiction. Come join us!!
President, Greater Las Vegas Orchid Society
Meetings are held the 2nd Sunday of each month, unless specifcaly noted.
Meetings start at 1pm
- January 14, 2018 Tom Mirenda “Orchids of Costa Rica”
- February 11 Jason Fischer “Growing on a Log”
- March 11 Ron Kaufmann “Orchids of Tropical America”
- April 8 Carol Siegel “Orchids of Hawaii” (With Lauu Dancers and Singers!)
- May 13 Harold Koopowitz “Slipper Orchids”
- June 3 Peter Lin
- July 8 Norman Fang “Harlequin Orchids”
- August 12 Mark Romansky
- September 9 Diana Smith
- Oct 14 Fred Clarke “Modern Cattleyas and How to Grow Them”
- Nov 4 Cathy Loftfield “Lycaste”
- December 9 Holiday Party
- Jan 13, 2019 Tom Mirenda "The Orchids of Sicily"
- February 10, 2019 Carol Siegel "Orchid Names"
- March 10 - Greenhouse Tour
at homes of Clarice Dean, Ole Borresen and
- April 6, 2019 Orchid Show “A Passion for Orchids”W Charleston Library
- April 14, 2019 Ron Kaufman
- May 5, 2019 BBQ (trying to not have this on Mothers day like 2018 - FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH THIS MONTH)
- June 2, 2019 Norman Fang“Harlequin Orchids” (FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH THIS MONTH)
- July 14 2019 - Potting day with Cathy Loftfield
- August 11 2019 - Mark Romansky
- September 8, 2019 Ron Parsons
- October 13 2019 - Peter Lin
- November 2019 - TBD
- December 2019 - Holiday Party, Date TBD